Thu 12th Jan 2012
This report comprises the Australian Bicycle Council’s annual report for 2009-10 and summarises the progress made on the National Cycling Strategy 2005-2010.
- increased participation with 95% more trips made on key urban cycling commuting routes from 2005 to 2010 and recreational cycling showing a 15% increase between 2005 and 2009 and a 32% increase in cycling participation on a regular basis between 2001 and 2009.
- investment of more than $500 million in cycling infrastructure, promotion and education from 2005 to 2010 by Australian government, states and territories.
- establishment of AustCycle, a national cycling education initiative
- national promotion of Ride to Work Day which achieved a record 36,188 registrations in 2010 and registered 27,207 new riders from 2006 to 2010
- launch of the online cycling information hub, the Cycling Resource Centre in 2007.